How do I know what classes to take?

You will need to do that research. Faculty get very frustrated when students ask them to do this work for them. Faculty are not familiar with all of the classes available on study away programs, so it is your responsibility to do your research ahead of time. Use your best judgment to match courses abroad with what you need to graduate, and then take that information to your advisor. We even recommend creating a spreadsheet of the courses you need, and what classes you can take while studying away are similar to those courses. Be sure to bring courses descriptions and as much information on the courses as you can with you to your advising appointments. Keep in mind that faculty are VERY busy during the last two weeks of classes, the first two weeks of classes, and around registration; they are also generally unavailable during winter and summer break. You should not expect faculty to help you during these times, so be sure to plan accordingly.

If you don’t know what you need to graduate, be sure to review the SSU campus catalog, and your Academic Requirements Report that you can access via your MySSU account. If you are confused about your requirements, talk to us or your academic advisor.

Navigating GE courses abroad can be difficult since there is not designated GE advisor. Use your best judgment by matching the study away class with an SSU GE course title and course description. The more similar the study away class is to a SSU course, the easier it will be. You can also use the following GE area descriptions to help guide you in matching GE courses.


For CSU International Programs, we have been able to pre-match some courses, which you can use to guide you. These pre-matched courses are emailed to students, as well as made available on the applicant Facebook group. If you would like to be emailed a copy, email Hope Ortiz at sends e-mail).

As a part of the application, you will need to list courses you plan on taking while abroad. Listing these courses does not set them in stone, however, this demonstrates that: 1) You have done your research regarding taking courses while abroad, and 2) That the location you have selected offers sufficient courses that you will be able to take.

After you are accepted to the program, you will need to complete the Academic Planning Form. This will be reviewed and signed by your advisor, then submitted to CSU IP.


For National Student Exchange/NSE Study Abroad, after you are accepted to the program, you will need to complete the NSE Advising Agreement. This will be reviewed and signed by your advisor, then submitted to the Global Engagement Office.

FAQ Category