Do I need a Passport to study away?

A passport is not needed to study in a different state in the US, however, make sure you have valid documentation required to travel, including a REAL ID.

To study internationally, students must have a valid passport through six months after their study abroad program ends. This includes NSE Canada locations and all NSE Study Abroad locations. If your passport is going to expire prior to six months after your program end date, then you should begin the process of renewing your passport as soon as possible. If you do not currently have a passport, and will not have a passport by the application deadline, that is okay. It is not required to have a passport to apply to the program. However, you will be required to provide a copy of your passport soon after being accepted to a program. Because of the time involved in obtaining a passport, study abroad applicants are STRONGLY advised to apply for one even before you apply to the program or before selection results are known. (The process can take up to 3 months.)

Information on how to get a passport can be found at

FAQ Category